Tuesday, June 15, 2010

peanut butter granola

a few weeks ago, rita and i may have made our internet video ad debut. we were walking down the street when we were randomly asked if we'd like to participate in the filming of a "viral marketing campaign" for galaxy granola's new fruit not fat granola. anticipating free granola samples, we agreed. unfortunately for galaxy, neither me nor rita (especially not rita) are natural performers (we are shy twins). i did my best, offering "that's a lot of fat!" to describe galaxy's rival granola and "that sounds good!" in reference to replacing oil with applesauce. rita was not so helpful, mumbling, "i don't know...how much fat does granola usually have?" in response to the rival granola's fat content. luckily, the galaxy granola spokesman was a pro and we ended our film debut with an enthusiastic "fruit, not fat!!!" for the camera.
unbeknown to galaxy, however, rita and i have been making our own "fruit not fat" granola for years. and, having tasted my well earned galaxy sample, i have to say that ours is better.
this particular recipe obviously adds (good, healthy) fat back in with the peanut butter. if you want plain granola, replace the peanut butter with 1/4 cup liquid sweetener (honey, brown rice syrup, or agave) and add a few generous sprinkles of cinnamon and ground cloves to the wet ingredients mixture.
peanut butter granola
*1 cup applesauce
*1/4 cup liquid sweetener (honey, brown rice syrup, or agave)
*1/2 cup peanut butter
*5 cups oats (old fashioned or quick cooking)
*1 cup chopped peanuts (optional)

1. preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. put peanut butter in microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds.
3. stir peanut butter and mix with applesauce and sweetener in a small bowl.
4. mix together oats and peanuts, if using, in a large bowl.
5. add applesauce mixture to oats. stir until oats are evenly coated.
6. spread granola on baking sheet. bake for 30-45 minutes (check every 15 minutes) until granola is golden brown. you can also stir every 10 or 15 minutes if you'd like even baking, but i prefer to have a mix of crunchy and soft granola.
-lola

12 comments:

Michelle said...

mmm that is a to-die-for recipe for granola! I haven't yet seen that flavor of packaged granola sold out in the grocery stores. I definitely have to try this using almond butter since I can't use mine up! I love my PB too much!!

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for a healthier granola recipe so I just might try yours out. I have to say that I'm mighty impressed that you ladies cook in your dorm! I don't think I ever moved beyond anything more complicated than easy mac when I was in college unless we had a birthday and the brownie pan came out.

Unknown said...

oooh ya. I'm all about the homemade granola. Much better tasting. What a neat blog! Enjoy the 415. I'm jealous! hehe!

Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen said...

I love making my own granola! Definitely without all the fat of the store brands! Your sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

Cool beans! I have a batch of granola in the oven now, though I didn't follow this recipe. WE'RE SO KINDRED! :)

I must do this next weekend. I love peanut butter. Now if I added some cocoa in, it totally doesn't matter right? :)

Kerstin said...

Sold at PB - looks addicting! Your new site is cute too :)

Kelly said...

I've been meaning to make granola for a while now, and this looks ridiculously yummy! I might have to try it tomorrow...!

Emily said...

Such a funny story! I love making my own granola. I feel better when I know exactly what's in it and the specific amounts.

Astra Libris said...

Ohhh, YUM!! Yours sounds much better than purchased granola to me too! :-)

Stephanie said...

Interesting, I love granola but hate to buy the stuff with coconut oil in it. I'll have to give this one a try

Anonymous said...

Yummers!
I love granola and that batch looks great.

Heather (Where's the Beach) said...

This granola sounds fantastic - and easy. Great combo!