Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Tofu with eggplant and zucchini


I normally try to avoid chain restaurants, especially if they serve some kind of ethnic food. I guess I'm kind of a snob about it, but I refuse to eat at Taco Bell when La Gallinta or El Buen Sabor is just down the street (or even all the way across town). But I admit I do love Panda Express. For one thing, their logo is a panda, which is adorable. Also, I love their eggplant tofu. I have had eggplant tofu other places and liked it just as much, but Panda Express is the first one I tried, so I'll always have a soft spot for it.

Anyway, when Lola called me frantically at 6 pm, saying she was hungry and all we had in the dorm was tofu, I rushed to the Union Square farmer's market to get some eggplant. Around 6 pm is the best time to get to the farmer's market because everything is on sale. When I got there,I saw a bag of zucchini for only $1, so I decided to get that too. And thus Tofu with eggplant and zucchini was born.


We used 2 small eggplants, 1 small zucchini, and a small block of medium firm tofu, all cubed and sauteed in olive oil with about 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and about 1 teaspoon of five spice powder. We also threw in a small handful of chickpeas, which we had leftover. I recommend you put the zucchini in first so it can cook the longest. we didn't and it consequently ended up a bit too crunchy.
We served it over some whole wheat couscous and it made a good, satisfying meal.
p.s. from lola--the eggplants were in honor of the best character on tv (and rita's future husband?) chuck bass. because he wears so much purple.

6 comments:

Michele said...

This looks really delicious!

Sarah Glova said...

what an awesome blog! you make all these things from your dorm?! I felt good when I managed to make a hot pocket in college! haha. great blog :) thanks so much for visiting mine!!

good tip on the zucchini-- i love crunchy zucchini but in a dish like that I can see wanting it to absorb all the dish's other flavors a little more. mmm over couscous... sounds great!!

Kerstin said...

I have a soft spot for Panda Express too and always get it at airports! Love your eggplant/zucchini/tofu stir fry, it looks super tasty and satisfying!

Jen said...

I made something very similar to this yesterday, but with seitan nuggets rather than tofu. It was delish!

Sprouted Kitchen said...

SO much better for you than panda express! looks great!

theUngourmet said...

This does look so yummy!
My daughter loves Panda Express!