i apologize for the lack of photos of this meal. we were distracted. you'll see why in a second.
this is a very easy meal. so simple that even though our own cooking process turned into a comedy of errors, we still wound up with a delicious dinner.
the plan was this:
Portobello and cheese sandwiches with roasted summer squash for 2
1. slice 1/2 a summer squash. toss in glass baking dish with olive oil, cumin, cayenne, cinnamon, and curry powder. roast in oven for 30 minutes at 500 degrees (but you should do it at 450 for 45 minutes. i was hungry and impatient).
2. saute 1 giant portobello mushroom in earth balance (fake butter. obviously you could use real butter too). slice in half and put 1/2 on bread spread with brown mustard. top with slices of cheddar jack cheese and another piece of bread. grill sandwich in more earth balance. repeat for other sandwich.
before i tell you how it actually went down, i need to give you a little bit of explanation about our kitchen. we have approximately 1 1/2 square feet of counter space, most of which is usually taken up with the teapot, dish towels, various condiments, etc. due to the general lack of space in our room. so when we remove a pan from the oven, we usually put it on top of the stove, which is also crowded with drying dishes, other pots, etc. due to lack of space on the counter.
so here's what happened: I am sauteing the mushroom and suddenly the pan gets really smoky, causing the smoke alarm to go off. after waving my arms around like a madwoman for a few seconds, i take the mushroom out of the pan, and put the pan upside down over the burner. the smoke alarm stops beeping. crisis averted.
we realize all our bread is starting to mold. rita tears off the moldy bits and we are good to go. perhaps by now we should have heeded the signs and given up on this particular cooking venture.
next, i open the oven and see that the squash is done. i take it out and put the pan on top of the stove. note that i placed it gently, and did not drop it. and that's when this happened:
the pan exploded. like legit exploded. glass flew everywhere. i mean, thank goodness neither of us were injured.
point is, you should make this meal. just don't do it at all like we did.
p.s. thank you to all readers/commenters/followers. just for being you =)