from cooking light. the only change we made was to sub plain greek yogurt for the sour cream. because sour cream is gross.
African ground nut stew with sour cream [or greek yogurt] and chive topping (i accidentally left off the g when i first typed that. you can call it toppin' if you're hip like me)
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup minced fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1/4 cups thinly sliced yellow onion
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 1/2 cups quartered small red potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 2 1/2 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
Combine sour cream and chives in a small bowl; cover. Refrigerate 2 hours.
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Stir in peanuts, salt, and crushed red pepper; sauté 2 minutes. Add potatoes, broth, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Place 1 2/3 cups stew into each of 6 bowls; top each serving with about 2 1/2 tablespoons sour cream mixture.