Wednesday, June 10, 2009

squid fried rice




Some parents send care packages with home baked cookies. My mother sends dried squid.

"Do you wanna try some?" I asked my roommate as I hesitantly lifted a piece to my mouth. "No, I'm good" she told me.

So I gave it to my lovely sister, who has the luxury of a kitchen in her dorm room. A few months later, I trooped over to her room and we created some squid fried rice. Delicious!


Squid fried rice (serves 2)

  • 1 package dried squid (find in Japanese grocery stores)
  • 3 cups cooked rice
  • half an onion, sliced
  • 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 cup bell peppers, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder
  1. heat up olive oil in a skillet. once it's hot, add mushrooms and onions. cook for one minute, add peppers. cook until all veggies are soft.
  2. add curry powder and rice. saute for 1 minute.
  3. crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk until mixed. add to skillet and stir together quickly so egg gets incorporated into rice.
  4. cook until egg is nearly done. add dried squid and a splash of olive oil. cook 1 minute more, or until egg is done and everything is heated.

et voila! le fried rice extraordinaire!



1 comment:

Mombre said...

One of my favorite recipes!