Wednesday, June 24, 2009
two easy lunches
these are two easy,quick recipes. they're the type of thing we throw together when we're at home for lunch and want to use up some random leftover ingredients. obviously you could make them for dinner too, i just liked the sound of "two easy lunches" as a title.
first up, we have black bean soup, created and eaten by Rita.serves 1
*2 cups already made black bean soup (the smooth, pureed kind, she used trader joes)
*1/4 cup salsa verde
*2 tablespoons cilantro, roughly chopped
*2 teaspoons cumin
*1 teaspoon chipotle powder
*2 cloves garlic, minced
*olive oil for frying (about 2 tablespoons)
*1/4 cup green onions, sliced
*cheddar cheese to grate on top
*2 teaspoons lime juice
1. heat oil up in a medium pot.
2. add garlic and green onions. saute, stirring frequently, until onions start to get soft and garlic starts to brown, about 3 minutes.
3. add everything else except cheese to pot, stir and cook until thoroughly heated, about 5 minutes.
4. grate cheese on top.
and next we have pasta with tomato sauce and mussels, by yours truly, Lola.
not really a recipe, more just an idea and list of ingredients. also, its good without the mussels. we just happened to have leftover mussels, but they're not an ingredient we often have on hand.
*1 serving of pasta (i used 3/4 cup whole wheat bowtie pasta)
*enough tomato sauce to coat pasta (the sauce i used also had garlic and basil)
*mussels, cooked and removed from shells (i used 10)
*a small handful of walnuts
*half an onion, sliced
*olive oil for cooking onions, about 2 tablespoons
1. cook pasta according to package directions.
2. meanwhile, heat oil in a small frying pan.
3. add onions to pan and saute, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
4. add sauce, onions, mussels, and walnuts to pasta. stir.
i'd also like to thank Molly Jean at the rookie chef for our first ever blog award!
so how does this work?
These are the rules of this award:
* 1. Accept the award, post it on your blog together with the name of the person who has granted the award, and his or her blog link.
* 2. Pass the award to 15 other blogs that you’ve newly discovered.
* 3. Remember to contact the bloggers to let them know they have been chosen for this award.
ok, who to pass this prestigious award on to? these are all people we've just discovered since we started blogging
the ordinary vegetarian
coffee beans and curry leaves
veganize it, don't criticize it!
peanut butter swirl
chick n' pastry
cake, batter, and bowl
veggie num nums
um, that's all i can think of right now. i hope the blog award police won't come after me for not having 15. and i'm sorry if i've left anyone off. i love you all, really!